Thursday, July 21, 2011

The Times They Are A-Changin

Come gather 'round people, Wherever you roam
And admit that the waters, Around you have grown
And accept it that soon, You'll be drenched to the bone
If your time to you, Is worth savin'
Then you better start swimmin', Or you'll sink like a stone
For the times they are a-changin'.


I think Bob Dylan sums it up nicely. The last few months of my life have thrown me out of my comfort zone to say the least. So I apologize for my hiatus from the blog. I know a few people were expecting some shout outs from some of the many BBQs over the last few months but I dropped the ball...and here's why:


I was unemployed for two agonizing months but I just started with a new company in beautiful Santa Barbara and I really couldn't be happier. I'm now a Project Manager at Frank Schipper Construction which is a smaller company than Bycor but they have given me the opportunity to bid my own jobs and then run them which I think is really the best way to do it in a perfect world. Normally, a lot gets lost in the hand-off from estimating to production but since I'm involved with both it should be a smooth transition. I'll also be working on different types of projects than before like condos, hotels, and historical restorations...things I've never done before. 


In moving to SB I was now suddenly homeless in a new town that I had only vague recollections about where things were. I couch surfed for a week with an old high school friend and one night with a former college roommate/hockey teammate. Sleeping on an air mattress got pretty old pretty fast and I was determined to find the perfect living situation so I looked at close to 30 places before finally the owner of the 3rd place (and my favorite) I looked at called me back and said that he'd accepted my application to to rent. It was a long week but it all paid off in the end with the amazing place that I ended up in. The house and views are just...epic. There's even a nice built in BBQ and outdoor kitchen that I plan on getting some good use out of. Here's a quick look at what I'm working with :)...
Patio balcony in front of house.
Outdoor BBQ kitchen!












So yea, pretty awesome huh? I am, needless to say, pretty damn excited about it. I've only been living here a few days but everything has been great so far. I'm getting settled in and finding new places to go around SB every day. I can't wait to show Jenny everything. I'm sure she'll enjoy SB as much as I have so far. 


That's all for now, I'll be sure to make a post soon about my huge BBQ from 4th of July in Palm Springs, CA. It was by far my biggest and most ambitious BBQ ever and it turned out pretty damn well if I do say so myself. Ohhh Biscuits! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment