Monday, March 21, 2011

I want my Baby Back Baby Back Baby Back...

So yea, needless to say, two things are true...I have that damn Chili's jingle in my head (if you don't know it don't look it up because it's annoying) and I cooked up some epic Baby Back Ribs this weekend. I was actually cooking up a storm this weekend. On Saturday I decided to make my dad's legendary "secret" beef jerky recipe, which I ironically had to obtain from my childhood neighbor Paul McCarthy (best mortgage broker in the country!), and it turned out perfect. It really took me back to my childhood as if he had made it himself and I was sneaking little pieces off of the dehydrator before they were done. It's hard for me to eat barbecue or beef jerky and not think of my dad. He taught me so much about barbecue and I have come to the realization (very recently) that he is a big part of the reason I have been obsessed with it lately. It allows me to be artificially brought back to the "good times" through great tasting food (nature's best anti-depressant). Side note: I planned to bring some of the jerky into work this morning to share with the office but I completely spaced...I'm a zombie in the mornings...especially Mondays.

Sunday would be the main event with plans for cooking a pair of Baby Back Ribs and one rack of Beef Ribs for good measure. I used basically the same recipe for both meats with slight variation. I started with the standard mustard, Worcestershire, and apple cider vinegar wet rub; then a chili powder, paprika, garlic salt, black pepper, brown sugar, kosher salt, dry mustard, and cayenne pepper dry rub on the ribs. I placed them into the rib rack and put them in the smoker for 2 hours at 250 degrees. After 2 hours I took them out and wrapped them in tin foil while adding a brown sugar, honey, and apple juice mixture to the ribs. I put them back in the smoker for a little over an hour then removed the tinfoil and added some leftover dry rub and the ribs went back in the smoker for 30 minutes. Then I took them out and covered half of them in my home made apple BBQ sauce and the other half in Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce and put the ribs back in the smoker for another 30 minutes. FINALLY they were done and looking pretty amazing...take a look at them fresh out of the smoker.
Beef Ribs on the left and Pork Baby Back Ribs on the right
Admittedly, the picture is not one of my best photographic masterpieces nor have any of my other BBQ pictures for that matter (I need to perfect the art of photographing food but for all intents and purposes of this blog isn't really the focus at this point). But yea, that $h!t tasted GOOOD! One of my better finished products if I don't say so myself! And I'm happy to report that they got great reviews from the girlfriend, roommates, and friends in attendance yesterday afternoon that braved the active treacherous San Diego storm just to eat my soon to be famous (haha) BBQ.

Here come the shout-outs...
If that wasn't enough for one day I also had some pretty great side dishes of Asparragus made by Jenny "Micro" Jirschefske and signature Guacamole made by Chris "Jazzin" Alkazin. I also made some baked beans, because what's a BBQ without baked beans, but it's not like that took any skill.

All in all a pretty great weekend with great friends despite the less than great weather and yet another successful BBQ to add to the books. Until next time, I'm Pmoyer...Stay Dry San Diego.

No comments:

Post a Comment